Monday, December 19, 2011

Decorating for the Holidays


No matter what your religious background may be, this is a special time of year. We have the opportunity these next few weeks to take a rest and reflect on the previous eleven months, and to spend time with the ones we love. More than any other time of the year, it’s a time for having friends and family over for celebrations. With that in mind, I’m thinking about how we decorate for the holidays to make our homes more inviting.

When I was a kid, December was the time to bring the Christmas tree down from the attic. That’s right, we displayed the same artificial tree for years. Ours was nothing special. Indeed, some might say it was a bit tacky. I know that I would never display such a tree in my house today. You could tell right away that it was fake. But when I was a kid, running into the living room in my footie pajamas, diving onto the floor as if I were scoring a home run, the last consideration in my mind was whether the tree was an eyesore.

My parents worked long hours. They didn’t always have the time to drive out to the Christmas tree farm and bring back a real fir for the living room. But they always dedicated one Sunday afternoon in the year to putting up the tree and letting us kids decorate it with ornaments we made in school.

Something that you don’t often read about in articles about home decorating and design is sentimentality. To quote Robert Frost, “We love the things we love for what they are.” Sometimes we choose to keep an old piece of furniture rather than replace it because it brings back too many memories. Can you think of something in your home that you would not dare part with, even though it doesn’t exactly contribute to your decor? Share it with us! Link to pictures! Let’s get a conversation started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment